Saturday, April 17, 2010

Las Alpujarras

Alright so alot has been going on lately and I have had no time to blog as usual! Lo siento!
Last weekend we went to Las Alpujarras which is about an hour and forty five minutes from the city of Granada but it felt like wayyyy longer on the way there!  It is in the mountains and there are a few tiny little villages there.  I have never had a problem with getting motion sickness before this but WOW! We were literally winding through the mountains for an hour and a half in a big bus with no air conditioning.  Almost everyone on the bus was about to hurl! It was horrible! I stared at this blue speck on the seat in front of me the whole time trying to keep my mind off of it! So we finally got there and while we were all so nauseous, they said we had ten minutes to put our stuff in our rooms before our first 5 hour hike! This hike was supposedly an intermediate hike but in my mind it was pretty hardcore! It was absolutely gorgeous but i spent most of the time staring at the rocks under my feet trying not to cause a landslide! It ended up being fun still even though I was close to death by the end!  We went back to the hotel, had dinner, and watched the Real Madrid vs. Barcelona futbol game which apparently is a BIG DEAL!  It was so fun watching it with real Spaniards because they are so passionate about everything! The next morning we got up early and went on another four hour hike that was supposed to be "girly".  It was probably harder than the first one! But still fun! I had blisters all over my feet and a really cute farmers sunburn but it was worth it! We got back on the windy bus (with motion sickness medicine that didn't help all that much) and went back home! Very fun!  We had absolutely awesome weather for this trip but it was really sad because it was the last trip with our program! All of these trips were awesome and so stress free and it just brings back the realization that this is all going to be over very soon!

In the past few weeks I have discovered alot more about Granada which is so sad because I have lived here for three months but thats ok! Four nights ago we discovered a teteria which is the best place ever and we have already been there four times and the owner knows us! It is a cool Indian like place where it is dimly lit with incense and you sit on pillows and you drink all sorts of tea! My favorite is the Pakistani tea with milk and sugar and cinnamon and vanilla! Soooo good! And to add to the awesomeness that is a teteria, they bring you free chocolate crepes (sort of like a tapa)! I am in love with them! 
My grammar class went and saw a movie in theaters last week which was very interesting.  It was one of the two actual Spanish movies and it was very depressing and the movie ended with the father committing suicide! So sad! They said that it was a typical Spanish movie! Spaniards are un poco loco.  I also found the show Fear Factor in Spanish on tv haha that is hilarious! Today some of us went up to the Albacyn area which is where they have TONNNNNS of little stores selling everything! I went crazy shopping and bargaining! It was so fun except for it was RAINING!!! And it is supposed to rain for the rest of the week.... thank you, sunny Spain.  Everyone needs to pray that this volcano in Iceland goes away before next weekend because that's when we are supposed to go to Paris!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of the shopping. And the free chocolate crepes. But for some reason lately it has been seriously less realistic that yall are in Spain. Like I don't know why but I feel like I don't even know yall anymore and I just dream that I have friends in Spain. It's the weirdest feeling ever. But I really really really miss you. A LOT. And I don't think I could put it into words how much I can't wait for you to be back. Hope you found me something cute and Spanish :)

    ReplyDelete